Relaxation Should Be #1 on Your To-Do List!
Stress is the now considered the underlying cause of most illnesses. That’s a bold statement coming from the scientific community, but research supports it.
More than 85% of all illnesses can be related to stress in some way. This why relaxation should be #1 on your to-do list.
While engaging in social interaction or chilling is enjoyable it is not considered an effective relaxation experience. True relaxation takes time and practice. Not a lot of time, even 10 minutes a day goes a long way towards improving health.
Our approach to relaxation actually needs an upgrade. It’s not something that just “happens”.
Somehow we’ve been taught that it’s easy to relax and that we should be able to do it in a minute or on the spot. This isn’t helpful or realistic. It actually contributes to the failure. Believing it should happen instantaneously and then being disappointed when it doesn’t happen quickly is a bummer.
I teach Meditation and Mindfulness at Baldwin Wallace University in Berea, Ohio. The for-credit class is offered in the conservatory where music and theater majors know the benefits of regular and repeated practice. You can’t learn to play a complicated piano concerto without lots of practice. It was not hard to convince these college students who suffer from performance anxiety, high expectations, and self-imposed harsh self-criticism that relaxation comes with practice. Within eight weeks of practice they were seeing reduction in performance and test anxiety, reduced repetitive stress injuries, and a more positive outlook on their life.
We need to ease into relaxation. Slowly and kindly talking ourselves down from our high anxiety or fast paced state in order to experience benefits. At first it may take 30 minutes or more to ease yourself into a relaxed state, where you are willing to let go of all that needs to be done. With practice and increasing familiarity with what it takes to actually relax you, that time can be reduced to 10 or 15 minutes realistically. But I bet that if you actually get into a deep relaxation you won’t mind spending more time doing it!
There are actual measurable physiological responses that determine a relaxed state. These measure:
–muscular release ,
–heart rate and blood flow,
–cellular repair and renewal
–brain wave activity
–changes in cortisol production
There are many biofeedback and neurofeedback programs you can get for your computer or smart phone to measure these responses. They are fun to use and give you immediate feedback.
It’s Not Work!
I’m sure you are tired of hearing about what you need to do. Everywhere you turn a new diet is beckoning or a new form of exercise makes you feel guilty that you aren’t doing it. But relaxation is different.
Relaxation actually makes you feel better and enhances everything else in your life. Starting and ending the day with a simple relaxation practice will change your life with minimal effort.
The key is the repetition. There is a cumulative effect that occurs with repetition. It doesn’t matter what relaxation practice you do as long as you do it. There are active forms like yoga and tai chi, and passive forms like simple breathing and guided relaxation.They all work as long as you practice them enough.
Remember we need to ease into relaxation. You wouldn’t exercise without warming up your muscles, nor do you just drop into a deep relaxed state. You warm up to it, breathe into it.
Start by giving yourself some kind messages such as “you deserve to feel good”, “you will feel so much better if you allow yourself to relax”, “this is better than taking X medication”, or “the world will go on without you for 15 minutes”.
Use a guided relaxation APP to help you. Don’t worry if you use that APP forever, you don’t need to become a master, you just need to relax. Music is great when paired with relaxation practices or just by itself. Be sure to practice where you won’t be disturbed and you feel safe. Turn off the phone. When my children were young I told them that they could come in my room and sit in my lap or snuggle up so they wouldn’t feel left out.
I have several guided relaxation meditations that are free to download on my web site. The Full Body Breathing, 11 Minute Grounding, 30 Minute Grounding, are very easy and helpful. Download free guided relaxation audios here.
That’s enough info to get you started. Enjoy!
- For Empaths: Ten Strategies for Happy Holidays 12.10.17
- The Sun, Moon and Solstice Wisdom 12.04.17
- Ascension Medicine: Energy First 10.31.17
- What’s the Lesson? 9.28.17
- The Enlightened Empath Continued 9.14.17
- The Enlightened Empath Part Two: Flooding, Paralysis and Isolation 6.28.17
- The Enlightened Empath Part One 6.06.17
- Relaxation Should Be #1 on Your To-Do List! 4.02.17
- Intuition Helps You Know What You Already Know 2.19.17
- Living from the Ground of Being 1.12.17
- Getting Unstuck from 3D 1.07.17
- Empower Your 2017 Intentions with the 1/1/17 Crescent Moon 12.28.16
- Viral Anxiety: Are You Infected? 12.15.16
- 2017 The Year of Clarity 12.01.16
- If You Are a Spiritual Seeker you Know what to Do Right Now 11.13.16
- Spiritual Divorce: Creating Love and Light 10.08.16
- You Can’t Beat Karma to the Punch! 9.12.16
- Intuition…Your Trusty Guide to Dating and Relationships 8.08.16
- Jewish Grandmother and Consciousness Pioneer 7.30.16
- Happiness….Where is it Hiding? 5.13.16
- The Mystery School of Life 5.04.16
- Spring Equinox Retreat: Escape Velocity 3.03.16
- New Feminine Energies Rising–Teleclass 2.25.16
- Healing Intuition….Your Inner Physician 1.10.16
- Embodied Spirituality: Your Body as a Sacred Site 1.03.16
- 2015 Winter Solstice 12.17.15
- Versions of Your Higher Self 12.02.15
- Scared Sacred 10.29.15
- Fall Equinox and Mercury Retrograde: Peace or Chaos 9.15.15
- Taking A Look at the Third Eye! 8.27.15
- New Energy Supporting Healthy Relationships 8.18.15
- The Solstice Effect 6.07.15
- The Deeper Meaning of Grounding 5.20.15
- What is Grounding? 5.16.15
- Sedona Retreat Journal 5.12.15
- What’s Your Spiritual IQ? 5.05.15
- Preparing for the Equinox…..Spring is Coming! 2.20.15
- Heart Centered Full Consciousness Living 2.19.15
- Taking Refuge in Your Body 2.08.15
- Living (Surviving) the Cusp of a New Age 1.17.15
- Please Don’t Mangle the Teachings! 12.27.14
- The Trauma in Dismissing Intuitive Intelligence 12.07.14
- Full On Powerful…Stop Splitting and Crashing 11.04.14
- Solar Flares….We Like Them! 9.15.14
- Time to Upgrade Your Consciousness 9.10.14
- Death: A High Frequency Experience 9.03.14
- Nurturing Relationships…..Feelings are Power 8.26.14
- Full Moon Catapults Us Light Years 8.10.14
- Truth and Health in Relationships 7.09.14
- Heart Wisdom and Vision in Relationships: 2014 July Attunement 6.28.14
- Understanding the Solstice 6.15.14
- Summer Solstice 2014 6.03.14
- Embodying Spirit 4.27.14
- Presence, Patience and Wholeness 4.18.14
- Intuition: The Path to the Divine 1.01.70
- Accessing Subtle Energies: Preparation 1.01.70
- The Medical Intuitive Within: Part Three 1.01.70
- The Medical Intuitive Within: Part Two 1.01.70
- The Medical Intuitive Within: Part 1 1.01.70
- Medical Intuition: Where to Begin? 1.01.70
- 3 Little Steps to Become More Intuitive 1.01.70
- So You Want to Be More Intuitive? 1.01.70
- Twelve Myths about Intuition 1.01.70
- Visiting with the Divine Mother 4.17.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Five 3.01.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Four 2.17.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Three 2.10.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Two 2.04.14
- When Is It Time to Heal? Part One 1.30.14
- Saying “Yes” to the Sacred 1.19.14
- Solar Pole Shift…..As the Sun Turns, So Do We! 1.07.14
- Tired, Cranky, Sleepy…It’s the Solstice! 12.25.13
- Freedom to be Your True Self 12.15.13
- Loving Mother Earth 10.30.13
- Relationship Ecology: Heart of Divorce 10.27.13
- Equinox Attunement 9.16.13
- Your Community is Gathering 8.23.13
- Equinox Energies 6.01.13
- Unusual Energies 3.07.13
- Say “YES” to Mercury Retrograde 3.04.13
- The Wisdom of Meteors and Asteroids 2.18.13
- Working Too Hard 2.12.13
- Whackiness 1.31.13
- The Passing of a Beloved 1.22.13
- Spiritual Divorce Ceremony 1.13.13
- The Time We Have Been Waiting For 1.06.13
- Centered In Higher Self 12.30.12
- We’ve Shifted 12.26.12
- High and Low Frequencies 1.01.70
- Young Healers Among Us 6.11.12
- Sleep and Illness 6.07.12
- Venus Transit 6.05.12