The Enlightened Empath Part Two: Flooding, Paralysis and Isolation
Are you isolating yourself because you are so overwhelmed?
Are you paralyzed… not able to move forward in life because you are flooded with overpowering confusion, doubt and fear?
Are the boundaries between you and others so fluid that it’s hard to know which thoughts and feelings are truly yours?
Are you picking up physical illness and pain from those around you?
The life of an empath can be very challenging. I often say, “It’s not easy being me!”
Some days are so trying that it’s easy to give up and say screw it, I’ll just hole up in my house and try to find some peace from my over reactive nervous system.
Just yesterday a client put two and two together. Her mother reminded her that every time they took her out to a public place like a store, restaurant, or some other busy place, she would cry inconsolably. This happened until she was seven years old. As she is beginning to understand her empathic nature she realizes how she was highly sensitive from the start. Her mother now understands this too and it makes sense to her as she reviews her daughter’s behavior throughout growing up.
Dr. Judith Orloff, in her book which I’ve mentioned in previous blogs, The Empath’s Survival Guide, has identified and defined the highly sensitive and empathic personality types. They are defined by the reactivity of their nervous system to internal and external stimuli. She makes the point that this is not “all in your head”, it’s a verified physical nervous system reaction that between 10 -20% of the population exhibit.
I’ve been conscious of my empathic nature for 40 years and have several tried and true energy practices, nutrition supports, and exercise routines that help me modulate my highly sensitive nervous system. Yet, sometimes none of them work and I have learned to live through the experience with compassion for myself and those whom I’m sensing. I also know how being empathic has led me on a life of mystic adventure and expansive awareness. My sensitivities to life also make me sensitive to spiritual realms and subtle energies.
Accentuating the positive qualities of being empathic helps balance off the challenging ones. I love the peace and beauty of the altered states of light and healing that are second nature to me. I’m in ecstasy when my heart is radiant and the mysteries of life are revealed. Yet it takes a lot to live in a bustling world when you have a highly sensitive nervous system.
Bring Your Energy Back to You!
What does a highly sensitive nervous system look like to my subtle energy vision?
We each experience the world of subtle energies uniquely so I’ll share my vision of the energy field when it is reacting.
Energy cords go out from the emotional field like antennae. There can be multiple cords or just one or two. They can link to a particular person or to an entire group, organization or country. It depends on where your mind or emotions are focused. When these cords go out beyond the boundaries of the energy field they get linked and entangled, opening a channel to drain energy from you and receive the mental/emotional content of the external target. The empathic person’s boundaries are often nebulous, allowing outside content to influence, even take over, their own mind, body and emotions. Imagine a hollow tube with fluid going both ways.
Energetic management is one of the most effective ways to manage the nervous system. The physical nervous system is linked to the energetic field through the chakras and meridians. There is a direct positive effect on the nervous system, it gets stronger, calmer, less reactive, and more stable, when the energy field is cleansed and flowing. Instead of directing the energetic filaments outwards, the empath can learn to direct the energy filaments inward. This strengthens the boundaries and cuts off the back and forth flow of overwhelming stimulus. This is where meditation and grounding can help enormously.
In my class, The Enlightened Empath, I will go into depth on how to become aware and manage your subtle energies to bring out the best in your empathic nature. You will be able to move beyond paralysis, flooding, isolation and pain into enjoying your life and your spiritual path!
The Enlightened Empath is a teleclass, taught in a group phone call. It begins Monday, July 10, from 8 – 9:15 PM. When you register you will be sent the call in information for the class. You will be able to ask questions and interact with others through the class page on the SpiritHeal website. Each class will be recorded and you may download them to support your growth from a burdened empath to an enlightened empath!
- 2018 Summer Solstice Ceremony 5.27.18
- Removing the Shroud of Guilt and Shame Programming 4.21.18
- If Your Beloved is an Empath You Are Very Lucky! 2.08.18
- Vibrational Intelligence….Empaths Have it Mastered! 1.01.70
- 2018 Message from Sarah Weiss 1.14.18
- For Empaths: Ten Strategies for Happy Holidays 12.10.17
- The Sun, Moon and Solstice Wisdom 12.04.17
- Ascension Medicine: Energy First 10.31.17
- What’s the Lesson? 9.28.17
- The Enlightened Empath Continued 9.14.17
- The Enlightened Empath Part Two: Flooding, Paralysis and Isolation 6.28.17
- The Enlightened Empath Part One 6.06.17
- Relaxation Should Be #1 on Your To-Do List! 4.02.17
- Intuition Helps You Know What You Already Know 2.19.17
- Living from the Ground of Being 1.12.17
- Getting Unstuck from 3D 1.07.17
- Empower Your 2017 Intentions with the 1/1/17 Crescent Moon 12.28.16
- Viral Anxiety: Are You Infected? 12.15.16
- 2017 The Year of Clarity 12.01.16
- If You Are a Spiritual Seeker you Know what to Do Right Now 11.13.16
- Spiritual Divorce: Creating Love and Light 10.08.16
- You Can’t Beat Karma to the Punch! 9.12.16
- Intuition…Your Trusty Guide to Dating and Relationships 8.08.16
- Jewish Grandmother and Consciousness Pioneer 7.30.16
- Happiness….Where is it Hiding? 5.13.16
- The Mystery School of Life 5.04.16
- Spring Equinox Retreat: Escape Velocity 3.03.16
- New Feminine Energies Rising–Teleclass 2.25.16
- Healing Intuition….Your Inner Physician 1.10.16
- Embodied Spirituality: Your Body as a Sacred Site 1.03.16
- 2015 Winter Solstice 12.17.15
- Versions of Your Higher Self 12.02.15
- Scared Sacred 10.29.15
- Fall Equinox and Mercury Retrograde: Peace or Chaos 9.15.15
- Taking A Look at the Third Eye! 8.27.15
- New Energy Supporting Healthy Relationships 8.18.15
- The Solstice Effect 6.07.15
- The Deeper Meaning of Grounding 5.20.15
- What is Grounding? 5.16.15
- Sedona Retreat Journal 5.12.15
- What’s Your Spiritual IQ? 5.05.15
- Preparing for the Equinox…..Spring is Coming! 2.20.15
- Heart Centered Full Consciousness Living 2.19.15
- Taking Refuge in Your Body 2.08.15
- Living (Surviving) the Cusp of a New Age 1.17.15
- Please Don’t Mangle the Teachings! 12.27.14
- The Trauma in Dismissing Intuitive Intelligence 12.07.14
- Full On Powerful…Stop Splitting and Crashing 11.04.14
- Solar Flares….We Like Them! 9.15.14
- Time to Upgrade Your Consciousness 9.10.14
- Death: A High Frequency Experience 9.03.14
- Nurturing Relationships…..Feelings are Power 8.26.14
- Full Moon Catapults Us Light Years 8.10.14
- Truth and Health in Relationships 7.09.14
- Heart Wisdom and Vision in Relationships: 2014 July Attunement 6.28.14
- Understanding the Solstice 6.15.14
- Summer Solstice 2014 6.03.14
- Embodying Spirit 4.27.14
- Presence, Patience and Wholeness 4.18.14
- Intuition: The Path to the Divine 1.01.70
- Accessing Subtle Energies: Preparation 1.01.70
- The Medical Intuitive Within: Part Three 1.01.70
- The Medical Intuitive Within: Part Two 1.01.70
- The Medical Intuitive Within: Part 1 1.01.70
- Medical Intuition: Where to Begin? 1.01.70
- 3 Little Steps to Become More Intuitive 1.01.70
- So You Want to Be More Intuitive? 1.01.70
- Twelve Myths about Intuition 1.01.70
- Visiting with the Divine Mother 4.17.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Five 3.01.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Four 2.17.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Three 2.10.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Two 2.04.14
- When Is It Time to Heal? Part One 1.30.14
- Saying “Yes” to the Sacred 1.19.14
- Solar Pole Shift…..As the Sun Turns, So Do We! 1.07.14
- Tired, Cranky, Sleepy…It’s the Solstice! 12.25.13
- Freedom to be Your True Self 12.15.13
- Loving Mother Earth 10.30.13
- Relationship Ecology: Heart of Divorce 10.27.13
- Equinox Attunement 9.16.13
- Your Community is Gathering 8.23.13
- Equinox Energies 6.01.13
- Unusual Energies 3.07.13
- Say “YES” to Mercury Retrograde 3.04.13
- The Wisdom of Meteors and Asteroids 2.18.13
- Working Too Hard 2.12.13
- Whackiness 1.31.13
- The Passing of a Beloved 1.22.13
- Spiritual Divorce Ceremony 1.13.13
- The Time We Have Been Waiting For 1.06.13
- Centered In Higher Self 12.30.12
- We’ve Shifted 12.26.12
- High and Low Frequencies 1.01.70
- Young Healers Among Us 6.11.12
- Sleep and Illness 6.07.12
- Venus Transit 6.05.12