My Biggest Empath Challenge: Dealing with Angry People
When you are an emotional empath you feel everyone’s emotions. Even those who are angry, irritated and frustrated with you. It’s bad enough that we feel the general heavy feelings of the world, but when they are directed at us, it’s a whole other story.
When a friend, student or client is angry at me I have to remember: I am not responsible for anyone else’s feelings other than my own. But, as an empath, my first reaction is dramatic. I see and feel a very strong cloud of darkness descending upon me. My chest tightens up and my breathing becomes shallow and almost non-existent. I become non-existent like I’ve been taken over by someone else’s energy. It’s like a spell was cast on me and I become the angry one. Although no spell was cast, that is what it feels like. I feel sick to my stomach and can lose focus on whatever I’m doing. It’s pretty disruptive.
It took a little while to figure out the correlation between my physical/emotional symptoms and what was going on for the other person. The clues started coming in when I noticed my reaction in quick random encounters. With the irritated check out person at the store, the road-rage driver, or my students and clients, etc. I noticed how heavy and dark I felt just in the passing interactions. I also saw clearly that the anger was in someone else and not me. These were momentary and obvious. It gets more interesting and challenging when the anger is sustained and stretches over a longer period of time. It’s tough to cut off the stream of dark energy directed at me by someone who believes I’ve wronged them in some way, particularly when they are compulsively perseverating on it. It’s easy to take on the anger, believe it is mine, and build a big case against them when I wasn’t the one who was angry in the first place. It’s hard to shake, but over time I’ve learned to deal with it somewhat effectively.
The challenge of this situation, whether you are empathic, psychic or telepathic, is knowing the inner thoughts and feelings of another….without ever intending to be privy to their private space you are. I don’t want to know, don’t need to know and certainly don’t want to feel the heaviness and disruption it causes. The question arises: What defines private space when the unseen is seen? In our world where the realm of emotions, energy, and vibration is denied, as an empath how do you deal with what you feel and know?
Empaths Experience So Much More Than the Average Person
With our mirror neurons firing continually along with a sensitive nervous system that is tuned to the subtle world of unseen energy, we receive so much more information than the average person. While the average person is surfing on the surface, we are receiving frequencies from the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual dimensions in our engagement with every being. And, who is going to affirm, support or agree with what we are experiencing? Who can help you separate out from the feelings of others, hold a clear space, and help us re-ground in our true self when you can’t do it yourself? Having a trusted friend that helps you sort this out is extremely helpful for empaths. Please find that friend for yourself!
The Challenges that Anger Creates for Empaths
I believe that each person has the right to their own private thoughts and feelings. Even when his/her issue is with me, they have the right to privacy. If I feel something is off with a friend, I’ll ask if everything is OK between us, a reality check of sorts, and if they answer “everything’s fine”, then I have no other choice but to respect their privacy, EVEN WHEN I KNOW EVERYTHING IS NOT FINE!
Naming some of the challenges empaths face when dealing with relationship anger helps create space and allows for wisdom to stream in.
- The anger may or may not be directed at you but you may feel it as if it is because you feel everything personally.
- The person who is angry may not be mature or adult enough to process their own emotions in a grounded adult manner.
- An empath experiences anger as an attack by a stealth weapon but others may not understand this perspective.
- AND THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE: YOU MAY FEEL ANGRY AND THINK IT IS YOUR ANGER!
I may have just described every empath’s worst nightmare—getting caught in the anger and heavy energy spiral that exists in the unseen airwaves that connects us all. It takes a lot of grounding and clearing to get to a state of clarity and peace. It’s a lot of work to be an empath in this world. I get it and it is what it is. Take heart that in the process of learning about yourself and the unseen subtle energies you are working towards your own enlightenment.
I believe it is up to me to ground and separate from the heavy energies and shift into a higher frequency state that is lighter and brighter than the energies aimed at me. I don’t have the power or right to change what they are feeling, but since I live in the world of subtle energies I have the right to shift into the frequencies that feel more aligned with my own consciousness. This takes a lot of release and mastery on my part. When I’m able to this, I’m fine. I’m patient, detached and am able to watch how the situation moves along. Sometimes it’s very painful to know that someone you love is very angry with you and there is no opportunity to resolve it from an adult perspective.
Keywords are “Grounded”, “Embodied” and “Adult”
Learning to come back to your grounded, embodied, adult self is what puts you on the path of The Enlightened Empath. The only way out is through. To get out of misery the empath must reach deep within and access their soul level wisdom and make it their everyday wisdom. This is the very definition of “enlightened”. To me, an adult is a person who takes responsibility for their own feelings, thoughts, and actions, skillfully grounds them within their multi-dimensional being, and arrives at embodied, integrated, wisdom. It’s a big task, but you are up to it if you are an empath. You know how to be persistent, you know the greater solution exists, and you have a reference point for placing harmony as a priority in shared relational space.
You Don’t Have to Stay Loyal if the Relationship is Uncomfortable–Respecting Relational Shared Space
Empaths tend to be very loyal to the point of ignoring their own needs and feelings. Learning that I don’t have to stay connected to or be around the person who is creating an unsafe shared space has been a tough one for me. I’m not responsible for others feelings is hard to realize when you experience the shared relational space as Oneness.
When you are friends or lovers with someone you are creating a shared space. This is where the relationship really exists. It’s not a merged or co-dependent space, each person keeps their personal identity and energy, but there is an assumption that it is consciously shared, cared for and valued.
As an empath, admittedly, the shared space may include a more subtle space, more of the unseen world of emotions, energy, and thoughts are included in this shared space. But even on the most obvious level, taking care of the shared space means being considerate, respectful, honest, clear, and open to the best of each person’s ability. For the empath, understanding this concept of shared space helps them navigate relationships. You can make a choice about whether you want to “share space” with someone or not. You have the power to choose, us it.
Most empaths jump impulsively into relationships because they are so loving and recognize connections where others don’t see them. They feel the heart resonance even when another doesn’t. They extend sympathy and support where needed even when it is not reciprocated because they are tuned into a deeper level of connection. Coming back to your grounded, embodied, adult self will help you understand your relationships and the choices you want to make. Your self-respect will guide you as to when and how to share your energy, love, and attention. It will also show you when to let go and allow space for the relationship to find a new balancing point.
Challenged to Grow
Relationships are challenging for everyone; that almost seems like an understatement! For empaths, it is one of the most challenging. Balancing the need for space due to our sensitive nervous system with the need to express our love and excitement for others is creates the fertile soil for emotional and spiritual growth. Choosing to continually tune yourself to the frequency that is most comfortable and that expresses your true nature is the way we learn to loosen the bonds of the false self and become a tuning fork for others to find their own true self.
- Don’t Let the World Close in on You 1.31.20
- Vibes Speak Louder Than Words 12.10.19
- Empaths: Change Your Identity Change Your Life! 10.31.19
- Direct Awakening of the Guru Within 9.15.19
- What is Your Greatest Purpose this Lifetime? 8.30.19
- My Biggest Empath Challenge: Dealing with Angry People 7.17.19
- Spirit Time is NOW! 7.15.19
- Empaths Need A Language of Love, Unity, and Connection to be Considered Valued and Valid 7.05.19
- Ungrounded Energies are Toxic to Empaths and Everyone Else! 6.24.19
- When Star and Stone are Held Together 5.04.19
- Embodied Spirituality: Your Body as a Sacred Site 4.30.19
- Mother’s Day Love and a Near Death Experience 4.25.19
- Dear Fellow Empath: Screaming Head and Heart 4.14.19
- Resisting the Equinox Energies Won’t Be Fun 3.19.19
- Making the Invisible Visible 3.18.19
- Are You a Happy Empath? 3.07.19
- Help! I Can’t Find the Words 2.26.19
- Making Sense of Embodiment 2.14.19
- Dear Fellow Empath #6 1.31.19
- Dear Fellow Empath #5 1.25.19
- Dear Fellow Empath #4 1.17.19
- Dear Empath #3: Consult Empaths for a Better World 1.12.19
- Dear Fellow Empath #2 1.07.19
- A Letter to My Fellow Empaths 12.26.18
- I Am an Empath 12.13.18
- Wake Up Calls, Sleepless Nights and the Winter Solstice 12.01.18
- Hip, Knee, Back and Neck Pain: Check Out Your Boots! 11.27.18
- (Re)Treats for Your Consciousness 11.13.18
- “I Don’t Care” and “I Don’t Know” are not Acceptable Answers 8.27.18
- “I Don’t Care” and “I Don’t Know” are not Answers 8.24.18
- Planetary Frequencies Jump Higher 8.20.18
- All About Channeling: Channel Your Higher Self 8.05.18
- 2018 Summer Solstice Ceremony 5.27.18
- Removing the Shroud of Guilt and Shame Programming 4.21.18
- If Your Beloved is an Empath You Are Very Lucky! 2.08.18
- Vibrational Intelligence….Empaths Have it Mastered! 1.01.70
- 2018 Message from Sarah Weiss 1.14.18
- For Empaths: Ten Strategies for Happy Holidays 12.10.17
- The Sun, Moon and Solstice Wisdom 12.04.17
- Ascension Medicine: Energy First 10.31.17
- What’s the Lesson? 9.28.17
- The Enlightened Empath Continued 9.14.17
- The Enlightened Empath Part Two: Flooding, Paralysis and Isolation 6.28.17
- The Enlightened Empath Part One 6.06.17
- Relaxation Should Be #1 on Your To-Do List! 4.02.17
- Intuition Helps You Know What You Already Know 2.19.17
- Living from the Ground of Being 1.12.17
- Getting Unstuck from 3D 1.07.17
- Empower Your 2017 Intentions with the 1/1/17 Crescent Moon 12.28.16
- Viral Anxiety: Are You Infected? 12.15.16
- 2017 The Year of Clarity 12.01.16
- If You Are a Spiritual Seeker you Know what to Do Right Now 11.13.16
- Spiritual Divorce: Creating Love and Light 10.08.16
- You Can’t Beat Karma to the Punch! 9.12.16
- Intuition…Your Trusty Guide to Dating and Relationships 8.08.16
- Jewish Grandmother and Consciousness Pioneer 7.30.16
- Happiness….Where is it Hiding? 5.13.16
- The Mystery School of Life 5.04.16
- Spring Equinox Retreat: Escape Velocity 3.03.16
- New Feminine Energies Rising–Teleclass 2.25.16
- Healing Intuition….Your Inner Physician 1.10.16
- 2015 Winter Solstice 12.17.15
- Versions of Your Higher Self 12.02.15
- Scared Sacred 10.29.15
- Fall Equinox and Mercury Retrograde: Peace or Chaos 9.15.15
- Taking A Look at the Third Eye! 8.27.15
- New Energy Supporting Healthy Relationships 8.18.15
- The Solstice Effect 6.07.15
- The Deeper Meaning of Grounding 5.20.15
- What is Grounding? 5.16.15
- Sedona Retreat Journal 5.12.15
- What’s Your Spiritual IQ? 5.05.15
- Preparing for the Equinox…..Spring is Coming! 2.20.15
- Heart Centered Full Consciousness Living 2.19.15
- Taking Refuge in Your Body 2.08.15
- Living (Surviving) the Cusp of a New Age 1.17.15
- Please Don’t Mangle the Teachings! 12.27.14
- The Trauma in Dismissing Intuitive Intelligence 12.07.14
- Full On Powerful…Stop Splitting and Crashing 11.04.14
- Solar Flares….We Like Them! 9.15.14
- Time to Upgrade Your Consciousness 9.10.14
- Death: A High Frequency Experience 9.03.14
- Nurturing Relationships…..Feelings are Power 8.26.14
- Full Moon Catapults Us Light Years 8.10.14
- Truth and Health in Relationships 7.09.14
- Heart Wisdom and Vision in Relationships: 2014 July Attunement 6.28.14
- Understanding the Solstice 6.15.14
- Summer Solstice 2014 6.03.14
- Embodying Spirit 4.27.14
- Presence, Patience and Wholeness 4.18.14
- Intuition: The Path to the Divine 1.01.70
- Accessing Subtle Energies: Preparation 1.01.70
- The Medical Intuitive Within: Part Three 1.01.70
- The Medical Intuitive Within: Part Two 1.01.70
- The Medical Intuitive Within: Part 1 1.01.70
- Medical Intuition: Where to Begin? 1.01.70
- 3 Little Steps to Become More Intuitive 1.01.70
- So You Want to Be More Intuitive? 1.01.70
- Twelve Myths about Intuition 1.01.70
- Visiting with the Divine Mother 4.17.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Five 3.01.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Four 2.17.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Three 2.10.14
- When is it Time to Heal? Part Two 2.04.14
- When Is It Time to Heal? Part One 1.30.14
- Saying “Yes” to the Sacred 1.19.14
- Solar Pole Shift…..As the Sun Turns, So Do We! 1.07.14
- Tired, Cranky, Sleepy…It’s the Solstice! 12.25.13
- Freedom to be Your True Self 12.15.13
- Loving Mother Earth 10.30.13
- Relationship Ecology: Heart of Divorce 10.27.13
- Equinox Attunement 9.16.13
- Your Community is Gathering 8.23.13
- Equinox Energies 6.01.13
- Unusual Energies 3.07.13
- Say “YES” to Mercury Retrograde 3.04.13
- The Wisdom of Meteors and Asteroids 2.18.13
- Working Too Hard 2.12.13
- Whackiness 1.31.13
- The Passing of a Beloved 1.22.13
- Spiritual Divorce Ceremony 1.13.13
- The Time We Have Been Waiting For 1.06.13
- Centered In Higher Self 12.30.12
- We’ve Shifted 12.26.12
- High and Low Frequencies 1.01.70
- Young Healers Among Us 6.11.12
- Sleep and Illness 6.07.12
- Venus Transit 6.05.12